Many times you modify your website and there is need to disallow url to be index in search engines. This can be done with following two ways.
- Use meta tag. <meta name=”robots” content=”noindex”>
- Use robots.txt
- with .htaccess
- Use Remove url from google search engine
Using Advanced Search Operators – site:, Intitle: , Inurl: , Inanchor:, cache:, related:
- If you want to check how many pages are indexed by google you can use following command.
2. If you want to search how many pages have “keyword phrase” in a title? Use following command
3. If you want to search how many page contains “keyword phrase” in their url, Use following command
Example: site:your-domain.com inurl:/keyword-phrase/
4. If you want to search how many pages have “keyword phrase” in their anchor tag? Use following command.
5. If you want to check when last time search engine crawler cached your website? Use following command
6. If you want to search related site to your business then use following command.
If search engine cant find your pages then they can’t index.
xml sitemap gives virtual index to search engines.
Navigation structure is very important for search engine optimization.
You have to build a navigation that search engine can easily travel and index your pages.
It is important because many websites’s are developed in such a way that navigation is invisible to search engine.
You know browser side and server side concept ?
Server side: The component or elements(webpages) are created at server before page rendering at browser side.
Tips: When you are planning for navigation keep following things in your mind
1) Use html 5 for building webpage.
navigation then give another way to search engine that can find travel through your webpages and index it. * Use link box at bottom of your webpage (footer section).
* Use xml sitemap
that search engine can
3) Use good keywords when you are planning for navigation.
Page content is very important in search engine optimization. If you don’t have content on your site then you probably dont rank well. Search engines also give more weight-age when other sites that links to your site. Page content can be a pdf files, videos, images, audio etc. but there is one problem with this. Search engine needs a plain text. the text inside your html file that is readable by search engines. It is not enough to have content for seo. Your content should be properly formated.
- Use <h1> tag for main heading and <h2> tag for sub-headings
- Use <strong> tag for keywords
- Try to use list and <i> tag .
- If you are inserting a image then use alt tag with one keyword in it.
- Don’t use many keywords in image alt tag.
- Give proper naming convention for your image.
- Think about good keyword while writing a content for your website.
- Think about keyword density on a page. If you have tons of keywords in your element or document search engine may be ignore that component or may be whole webpage or may be consider as a scam.
What is clean code ? What is the importance of clean code in SEO?
Tips for writing clean and standard code.
- Remove extra spaces
- Use proper naming conventions for file name.
- Your web document should be well formed.
- Use external style sheet instead of inline or internal
- If your web document content imagemap then put imagemap code at the bottom of your webpage.
- Give proper file naming convention as it appears in url.
Many peoples are use fake keywords in meta keyword tag. So Google and Bing have less weight-age for meta keyword tag in seo. Use up to 100 characters with comma separated. Google stated that they don’t do anything with meta keyword tag for ranking purposes. Don’t spend more time for meta keyword tag. Just use 4-5 keywords.
Description meta tag is most important in search engine optimization. It’s a short description of a webpage. It provide a text under neath of the link in search result. Like title tag, the meta tag is also truncated. Usually it should have 100 to 120 characters. Long description is truncated and it show three dots (…) at the end of description. Meta description is very important for conversion, a way to talk with searcher and encourage the searcher to click the link. It doesn’t seem to much weight for ranking. Google stated that they not use tag for ranking. If you not put meta description tag then the search engine grabs the description content from the body tag. If keyword find in description it shows in bold text. Now, some tips for meta description tag.
Keep meta description tag short at least 130 to 150 characters(two line)
Meta description should written in camel case letter because searcher can easily read description.
Make a meta description content that attract searcher and force to click your link.
Use capitalize text for saying extra benefits that are from your site.
For example: FREE HOME DELIVERY in description tag.
Meta tag is another important entity in search engine optimization. Meta tag store title information and intended to read by search engine. It include in top of the source code in head tag. Following are the meta tags that are very important for SEO Purposes.
<meta name=”description” content=”Meta tag is very important in seo. Meta tag is for search engines.”/>
Little bit description about the webpage and it appears in search result page.
<meta name=”keywords” content=”Meta tag, Search Engine Optimization, SEO”/>
You can put important and good keywords in meta keyword tag.
Suppose, If you don’t want a particular page is to be indexed then use robots meta tag.
<meta name=”robots” content=”noindex,nofollow” />
The robots meta tag tells all search engines not to index the webpage and not follow the links. As the name attribute have value robots that applies to all search engine crawlers. Search engines have a specific crawler known as user-agent. Google uses standard user-agent known as Googlebot.
If you dont want to particular web page crawl by google. Modify your meta tag with following.
<meta name=”googlebot” content=”noindex” />
Google uses user-agent:
Googlebot-Video, Googlebot-Mobile, Googlebot etc
<meta name=”googlebot” content=”noarchive” />
Also tells google not to archive that is cached webpages.
Title tag is most important entity on a webpage for search engine optimization. The title tag is intended to describe the content of a webpage.The text between title tag can be used for different ways
- It appears in title bar of a webpage
- It also appear in history list.
- Back and forward button list.
- It also show in bookmark list. If you press ctrl + d on windows you will see the the default title for a bookmark.
The search engine use title tag for ranking purposes and for linking to a document.
Tips for a title tag in Search Engine Optimization:
- Don’t use same title for every page of your website. Many developer do with company name then keywords.
For example: <title>Company name – Your keywords here for page 1</title>
<title>Company name – Your keywords here for page 2</title>
For example: <title>Company name – search engine optimization </title>
Actually this is a bad idea because keywords should have to be at the beginning of the title tag. so above title tag can be modified with <title>Search Engine Optimization</title>
2. Keep title tag small, little bit descriptive, should include good keywords in it.
Don’t make title tag too big because google search engine show big title with dotted characters after 60 to 70 characters including spaces. So it is very important to place good keywords at beginning of title tag.
3. Make title tag content in title case.
For Example: <title>Ice Cream – Mango Ice Cream, Made From Fresh Milk</title>